Thứ Sáu, 6 tháng 4, 2012

Oh Great: We Now Have Longer, More Painful Labors Than Our Grandmothers


My first baby arrived after 36 hours of painful, exhausting labor--this after hearing that every other woman in my family had relatively easy, short labors. Well, experts say I may not be in the minority. Longer labors are on the rise...

Ouch! According to a new report, women these days experience longer, and possibly more painful (due to the increased length of time) labors as compared to women in decades past. In fact, compared to 50 years ago, women experience 2.6 hours longer in the first stage of labor, and about 2.5 hours longer overall.
While the researchers don't have a good explanation, they suggest that the results could be explained by a.) the increasing age of women starting families, and b.) a higher rate of Cesarians.
Not sure how I feel about this news, you?! I'd like to think that labor and delivery is getting easier with time...

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét